The 2017 Duck & Quail season has been announced: The open season applies for specific species of duck throughout the state from 15 minutes before sunrise on Saturday 18 February 2017 until 30 minutes after sunset on Sunday 25 June 2017.
A big thanks to SAFGA representative, Peter Teakle, who SAFGA has helped fund in order to attend the relevant meetings and consultation processes.
Open season across the state is for the following duck species:
- Grey Teal (Anas gibberifrons),
- Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea),
- Pacific Black Duck (Anas superciliosa),
- Mountain Duck (Tadorna tadornoides),
- Wood Duck (Chenonetta jubata) and
- Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus).
A total bag limit of 10 ducks per hunter per day applies.
Hunters should note that the Australasian (Blue-winged) Shoveler (Anas rhynchotis) and Hardhead (Aythya australis) is not able to be hunted in the 2017 duck open season.
Blue-winged Shoveler and Hardhead have not been included because waterfowl surveys undertaken across South Australia indicate that the population trends for these species do not enable sustainable hunting in 2017.